Monday, July 25, 2005

Andy Card Got a 12 Hour Head Start

AG Alberto Gonzales admitted yesterday on Face the Nation that he essentially gave a heads-up and 12 hour head start to Chief of Staff, Andy Card:

Mr. GONZALES: When I was the counsel, it was always my practice to work very, very
closely and carefully with investigators and to seek permission with respect to every step that I
took with respect to an investigation. In this particular case, we were notified by the
Department of Justice late one evening. I guess it was about 8:00. And I specifically had our
lawyers go back to the Department of Justice lawyers and ask them, `Do you want us to notify
the staff now, immediately, or would it be OK to notify the staff early in the morning?' And we
were advised, `Go ahead and notify the staff early in the morning. That would be OK.' And
again, most of the staff had gone home. No one knew about the investigation. And we made...
SCHIEFFER: Well, let me just ask you the obvious question, Mr. Attorney General. Did you
tell anybody at the White House, `Get ready for this, here it comes'?
Mr. GONZALES: I told one person in the White House that--of the notification and...
SCHIEFFER: Who?
Mr. GONZALES: ...then immediately--I told the chief of staff. And then immediately the next
morning, I told the president. And shortly thereafter, there was a notification sent out to all the
members of the White House staff.


And just what did Card do with those 12 hours?

No comments: