Monday, January 23, 2006

Russert's Shameful Performance


Many in the blogosphere have questioned why did Timmeh ask Barak Obama about Harry Belafonte yesterday. But it gets worse. Arianna Huffington questions why Carville & Matalin were on yesterday? Was it to promote Timmeh's son new job?

And what made it all even more special is the relationship of Carville's radio co-host to Meet the Press's host -- a relationship not even revealed in the following exchange:

RUSSERT: James Carville, before you go I understand that politics may be part of your past, that you're going to go on XM Satellite Radio and do sports?

CARVILLE: Well, Mr. Russert, I can't talk about that too much, but I think there's going to be a story in tomorrow's paper. Tomorrow night I'll be on the Jay Leno show on NBC, and we'll be talking about some exciting new developments and maybe a new twist on an old career.

RUSSERT: With anyone I know?

CARVILLE: Maybe you would be familiar with someone I'll be teaming up in this, but let's just say it's going to offer a generational look at sports and the coaches of sports and things like that, and we'll be joining Bob Dylan.

Hmm, whoever could it be? Notice the playful banter? "With anyone I know?" "I can't talk about that too much..."

Fortunately, a faithful Russert Watch insider sent me an advance copy of the press release about the talk show and Carville's mystery partner. Here is the release's headline:

JAMES CARVILLE AND LUKE RUSSERT TO HOST NEW SPORTS TALK SHOW EXCLUSIVELY FOR XM SATELLITE RADIO

Ah, mystery solved!

I was watching yesterday and it was obvious there was an inside joke going on but I never would have guessed Timmeh was plugging his son. I'm really sick and tired of Washington DC being a playground for all the insiders to enrich themselves and their families as the rest of us stand by with our faces pressed up against the one way mirror in wait for real solutions to very serious problems.

No comments: