Saturday, October 15, 2005

Judy Can't Recall???

I have read Judy's account on her Grand Jury experience. There is much there to ponder. But one line (in bold) stands out to me as interesting. (And perhaps it is self evident but the ball needs to start rolling somewhere.) She relates this of the THIRD meeting on July 12 with Scooter Libby.....

I told Mr. Fitzgerald I believed that before this call, I might have called others about Mr. Wilson's wife. In my notebook I had written the words "Victoria Wilson" with a box around it, another apparent reference to Ms. Plame, who is also known as Valerie Wilson.

I told Mr. Fitzgerald that I was not sure whether Mr. Libby had used this name or whether I just made a mistake in writing it on my own. Another possibility, I said, is that I gave Mr. Libby the wrong name on purpose to see whether he would correct me and confirm her identity.


Now on first blush this may seem like Miller providing more cover to Scooter...that he never really gave her Plame's name so she needs to resort to trickery to get it out of him. But to look at it further this is interesting in the context of what she related about the SECOND meeting......

Mr. Fitzgerald asked me about another entry in my notebook, where I had written the words "Valerie Flame," clearly a reference to Ms. Plame. Mr. Fitzgerald wanted to know whether the entry was based on my conversations with Mr. Libby. I said I didn't think so. I said I believed the information came from another source, whom I could not recall.
AND
At that breakfast meeting, our conversation also turned to Mr. Wilson's wife. My notes contain a phrase inside parentheses: "Wife works at Winpac." Mr. Fitzgerald asked what that meant. Winpac stood for Weapons Intelligence, Non-Proliferation, and Arms Control, the name of a unit within the C.I.A. that, among other things, analyzes the spread of unconventional weapons.

Now I think Judy may be too clever by half. If we go by Judy's account we know by the Third meeting she has learned that Wilson's wife works for the CIA and Judy has her name down to at least Flame. And what does she do before the Third meeting. I might have called others about Mr. Wilson's wife. Yes she calls people because she KNOWS this is big and not something of little note as she tries to portray it later in front of the Grand Jury. And of the Third meeting she tries to show what a clever reporter she is by saying she tried to trick Scooter into "confirming" the name by saying it to him wrong. Again going to the point that this Flame/Plame name is important. She's going to pull out all her well honed clever reporter skills to supposedly get Scooter to confirm or firm up this important piece of information, right???
If Scooter hasn't really told her, and it is so important.....remember Wilson's wife is Winpac! and she has CALLED other people to try to learn more...... yes so important that she needs to pull out all the stops and nail it down with such clever reporter methods....... THEN WHY ON EARTH WAS IT SO UNIMPORTANT WHEN SHE SUPPOSEDLY HEARD THE NAME THE FIRST TIME THAT SHE "CAN'T RECALL" WHO TOLD IT TO HER??????

That makes absolutely no sense. Unless she's found a way to cover Scooter and another source all at the same time. Now who might that other source be??? Not Bolton...Naw.

No comments: